GALLIPOLIS FERRY — An explosion reportedly caused by a meth lab leveled a house on Crab Creek Wednesday night.
At approximately 11:30 p.m. on June 13, the Mason County Sheriff’s Department was called to assist the Point Pleasant and Valley Fire Departments on a residential fire at 2765 Crab Creek Road. Upon arriving at the residential fire, fire department personnel told officials with the sheriff’s department that an explosion occurred inside the residence not long after their arrival.
Fire department personnel have confirmed to the Point Pleasant Register, and other media outlets, that this explosion may have been caused by a meth lab inside the residence. Fire department officials say the house was destroyed.
Reportedly, at least one occupant of the residence, Christopher J. Arrington, 33, was severely burned in the fire. According to the sheriff’s department, Arrington was transported from the scene to Pleasant Valley Hospital and then flown by air medical helicopter to Cabell Huntington Hospital.
On Thursday afternoon, a spokesperson from Cabell Huntington said Arrington was still a patient there and was listed in serious condition.
The fire is still under investigation by Sgt. Varian and Sgt. Powell with the sheriff’s department and personnel with the West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office.
It was not known at press time whether any charges will be filed in this case or if anyone else at the residence had been taken into custody. At least one media outlet was reporting that one person was taken into custody in connection with the incident, though this was not confirmed by the sheriff’s department. Fire department personnel have confirmed Arrington was not alone at the home.
Most of the chemicals used to make methamphetamine vary but are highly flammable and potentially toxic and include chemicals such as acetone, toluene, sulfuric acid and anhydrous ammonia.
Anyone with information regarding the fire is urged to call the Mason County Sheriff’s Department at (304) 675-3838.